InDebted is changing the way organisations recover outstanding accounts by combining human values with compelling messaging and data-driven decisions. We do this to deliver on our mission to be the preferred choice of customers to support their debt free journey, everywhere.
We are a fast-growing startup that believes in putting our customers first, tackling tough problems head-on, and simply trusting our employees to get stuff done. We offer a four day work week, flexible schedules, unlimited paid leave, competitive salaries, stock options, and other perks that come with being a remote-first company.
As a result of an internal promotion, we’re looking for a growth-focused Finance Operations Lead / Financial Controller to lead and scale our accounting team.
The role will report to the VP, Finance and Operations and take direct responsibility for the production & reporting of timely and accurate financials, process transactions and provide financial oversight across our global operations. With a track record of leading and growing teams in high-growth businesses, you will play a key role in driving growth within InDebted’s Finance function, assisting to scale our team in response to our continued rapid global expansion.
You’ll be expected to build strong relationships with other business leaders across the globe and work well cross functionally at all levels of the organization to get things done. People management and development will be a key ingredient to your success as we need to add people, processes and systems to support our growth,and our 4 day working week!
You will possess the ability to move quickly and respond to unique situations. You are a self starter who thrives on building processes and you use your own initiative to get things done. We have a strong focus on ‘bias for action’ so you don’t mind taking calculated risks to reach a result.
What will you accomplish?
- Oversee and manage our core finance team in general accounting, monthly financial close process, financial operations, A/R, A/P, and tax compliance
- Own optimization of timely and audit-ready financial statements, internal controls, and management reporting
- Own all accounting processes and ensure the function has the appropriate tech stack and internal processes in place to support scalability and automation of the business, as well as maximizing team productivity and reporting accuracy
- Collaborate with internal and external teams to support key company initiatives, particularly those around segmented P&L reporting
- Partner closely with FP&A / Commercial team to provide timely and accurate reporting for forecasting and analytics
- Coordinate with external accountants and tax advisors to ensure compliance with all applicable tax laws and filing and withholding requirements
- Own vendor relationships with key company partners to ensure the controlled and efficient processing of financial data
- Develop and implement strategies to improve accounting processes for revenue recognition, capitalization of equipment and software development, and accounting system configurations
- Grow a strong, motivated finance team and ensure tangible and realistic career pathways for the growing team
- Demonstrate a high level of personal accountability, innovative thinking, and continuous improvement
What do we need from you?
- CA, CPA or equivalent certification required
- Proven track-record of managing high performing teams and developing talent within an organization
- 3+ years as a Financial Controller or similar seniority role
- Strong knowledge and leadership of an accounting team. Proven experience building, developing, mentoring, and inspiring a large, diverse, high performing professional accounting team.
- Ability to work in a growing, entrepreneurial organization; ability to quickly identify both risks and opportunities while maintaining a strong focus on both process improvements and results
- Strong technical accounting knowledge including understanding of IFRS
Bonus Points For:
- Experience working in a tech start-up
- Public accounting as well as commercial experience
- Experience with US GAAP
- Experience working with multiple jurisdictions - we have subsidiaries in North America, Europe and APAC
- ERP/systems implementation experience
In your first 6-12 months, you would have:
- Helped ‘level-up’ our month-end and reporting process, moving towards a cycle of continuous accounting
- Completed a diagnostic on our existing team and proposed new systems, hires and procedures to manage the growth
- Been involved with the selection and implementation of a new ERP
- Learnt the lingo of the industry; able to prepare clear and concise reports for management
Where will this role be based?
InDebted is a remote-first company. Work from anywhere you like, as long as you have a good internet connection and at least a 4-hour overlap with business hours in the Australian Eastern Standard Time Zone (UTC+10 during AU Winter and UTC+11 during AU Summer).
Diversity and Inclusion
At InDebted, we respect and celebrate the unique attributes, characteristics, and perspectives that make each person who they are. We also believe that bringing diverse individuals together allows us to build better products and a better overall company. InDebted is an Equal Opportunity Employer.